Thursday 20 June 2013

Xbox One - not "The One" for me


Microsoft has had another brain fade in announcing that it's much touted Xbox One will not play older games.

http://au.businessinsider.com/xbox-one-will-not-work-with-old-xbox-games-2013-5

http://au.businessinsider.com/why-the-new-xbox-one-wont-play-old-xbox-360-games-2013-5

When I heard this I was astonished.  Backwards compatibility should have been a must to get users to carry over from their previous consoles.

When I bought my Xbox 360 I gave away my original Xbox with some of the games I didn't like.  I kept the games I did like because they played on my new console.  I was happy with this.

According to Microsoft, their new console "It uses an “x86″ architecture for its processor and the others relied on a “PowerPC” architecture."  Therefore it won't work.  Rubbish!  They simply haven't bothered, gambling that punters will flock to the new Xbox One and abandon their old machines and games. Nope.

Expect a reversal on the stance from Microsoft.  Just like their Windows 8 reversal on the need for a start button.  They'll bring out an update which opens access to old games when their sales targets are missed by miles.

You heard it here first.

I'm keeping my Xbox 360 until it dies.  If I can't play my current selection of games  on the One, I'll replace it with another 360.  Chew on that Microsoft.


No comments:

Post a Comment