Wednesday 19 June 2013

Sky TV miffed over football loss

Sky TV has had the rug pulled from under it by an upstart company Coliseum Sport Media Management (CSM).  CSM has successfully out-bid SKY for three years' worth of the Premier League Football coverage. 

Hu-Rah!

I'm a Sky subscriber - and I'm not a happy one.  You see I have to subscribe to the basic digital package ($46.92) then add the basic Sports package ($26.45 - total $73.37) in order to watch _some_ live tennis (TVNZ has the rights to Wimbledon this year).   

Now I'm irked that I have to spend so much in order to watch so little.  In our home we watch very little TV at all.  If we could, we would be happy to subscribe to just the stuff we wish to watch.  To be honest we seriously considered dumping Sky completely and going TV free.  In the end we felt we would miss the tennis too much.

The news that CSM has upped the ante and proven that digital distribution can work is a god-send to aggrieved Sky subscribers like me.  I can't wait until the major tennis competitions offer an online subscription to the live TV feed.  I'd be much happier paying Wimbledon.com (or whatever) $120 for the two weeks coverage than paying Sky anything for the rubbish they offer on most of their channels.


"Sky: your happy place" - yeah right!


Story on Stuff: here.


2 comments:

  1. I've always refused to pay sky's sports package as I think it's grossly overpriced

    From August my broadband provider will be screening all the premier league matches free to all their users ... using Sky. Doesn't make sense.

    Another rip off with sky is if you unsubscribe you lose everything on the sky+ box ... surely you've paid for them the time you recorded them

    About time more people challenged them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sky are going to be a bit more friendly from now on. This is the thin edge of the wedge. Broadband here in NZ is only going to get better, so Sky are going to lose more and more of these 'big-ticket' sports events.

    Let's hope so - I want the tennis without the other 40+ channels of dross.

    ReplyDelete