Sunday 10 March 2013

Poor Sportsmanship on the Rangiora Fun Run


I ran the Rangiora to Kaiapoi Fun Run for the fourth time on Sunday 10th March.  

I trained hard for this annual event and posted a new personal best time of just under 44 minutes   The 10.5km route differed slightly from last year with more shingle track running and less sealed road.

As usual, this wonderful event was well supported and staffed by numerous helpful and friendly marshals.  I would like to thank each of them and the organizers for bringing us this excellent fun run.

As a top 20 finisher (12th overall) I was appalled to see a runner just ahead of me deliberately blocking another runner who was attempting to pass him.  The victim and I had passed each other a couple of times previously in the race, so we were very closely matched.  As we had passed each other we exchanged a few words of encouragement and wished each other well.  It was my turn to play catch-up as Romeo (he looked like the character on "Home and Away") was feeling strong and had eased past me at the 7.5km mark.

Romeo was up into 12th place and challenging for 11th.  I was slightly behind in 13th.  I had an excellent view from 6 metres back as to what was about to unfold.

The runner in 11th place deliberately moved across in front of Romeo in order to stop him overtaking.  This was on a 4WD track with ample room for four runners abreast. It happened again and again.

These dastardly maneuvers continued for approximately a kilometer until I loudly suggested Romeo foot trip the offender.  On hearing this, the offender stopped running and allowed us both to continue unobstructed.  As I passed I told the offender of my displeasure with his activities.

Had the offender tried a similar tactic with me I would have foot tripped him without a second thought.  If you run in front of me expect consequences.  A face full of dirt might teach you some manners.

This event is a local fundraiser not an Olympic trial.  Leave that nasty stuff out and enjoy the event for what it is – a FUN run.  If someone is faster than you, train harder and have another go next year.  Deliberately trying to limit another runner’s race is incredibly poor sportsmanship.


No comments:

Post a Comment