Monday 4 March 2013

I am NOT "New Zealand European"

Census time.

Our New Zealand government wants to create it's own Doomsday Book.  Except it's not called that.  It's called the 2013 Census.  Boring title eh?  I think DOOMsday Book is much cooler.

The bit that really irks me about these forms is how they pigeon-hole us.  Yes, yes we get some options to specify some bits and pieces, but no real attempt has been made with the forms to allow us to describe ourselves.

Take Ethnicity.

I'm not Polynesian, Australian, Dutch or English.  I'm a Kiwi.  Proudly so.

Unfortunately, "New Zealander" is not one of the ethnicity options.  You have to wonder why this is so.  The closest the forms allow is "New Zealand European".

I'm not, and have never considered myself a "New Zealand European".  I have no affiliation with Europe.  I am at least a third generation Kiwi.  Tomato sauce, jandals, Marmite, beer and rugby, you know - a Kiwi.  Born here just like my parents.

How long do I have to be here until I'm considered part of this land?  Imagine if Maori were forced to entitle themselves "Polynesian"? (Latest evidence is that Maori are from Polynesian origin).   Imagine the outcry!

So here's my solution to the Census dilemma:

I tick OTHER in the Ethnicity field in the form.  Then I specify New Zealander in the additional box.

Just like last time....

No comments:

Post a Comment