Friday 1 February 2013

Stop Supporting Old Browsers!


As of today I’m making a symbolic stand.  This week I’ve stopped supporting legacy web browsers in my code.  No more shims, polyfills or hacks to make my HTML or CSS code run.

Why am I taking this stand?  In the name of PROGRESS.

You see in the old days roads were travelled by foot, carriage or horseback.   Now we use cars.  We call this progress.

The transition from vinyl to cassette to CD to MP3 is another example of progress.  

In a couple of months we’re having analogue TV closed down.  We’ll be required to buy a new TV or install a set top box in order to decipher a digital signal.  Progress again.

In the name of progress I no longer support old browsers.  Any of them.  I make no apologies for this.  Websites I create may not display perfectly or at all in your old browser.  This is not my fault or my problem – this situation entirely YOUR fault and YOU are to blame.

By refusing to update your old browser you’re lagging behind.  Dragging the chain.  Watching VHS videotapes.  Playing records on your gramophone.  What can you do?  You can update your browser to the most current version, in any flavor of OS for free – so what are you waiting for?  

If IE7 doesn’t display a page I created or does something strange with links don’t whine and moan to me – just update the thing, or be left behind.  Either solution is fine by me.

My tipping point in taking this stand is quite simple.  Browsers that do not support the HTML5 semantic elements get left behind.  In CSS I use Media Queries to transform the layout (responsive design) depending on the width of the viewport, so support for Media Queries is also critical.

Here’s a guide to which browsers do the business. At present 83.84%* of browsers support the HTML5 semantic elements. 



Here's how the support for CSS Media Queries stacks up.  The good news is that media queries are almost exactly as well supported as the HTML5 elements with 83.72%* coverage.



If your browser doesn’t cut the mustard – it’s time to replace it.  Did I mention it’s free to do so?  Good.

* source www.caniuse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment